Thread: uncanny stories
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2024, 04:17 PM   #5
ford38v8

Default Re: uncanny stories

Back in the day, when I was a regular at all the swap meets, I happened upon an old guy playing a fiddle at the back of his RV, behind his table full of pocket watches. I listened while looking at his fine collection of watches. A nice conversation ensued with him and his lovely wife when he finished playing, during which I mentioned that my '38 Ford's clock appeared to be nicely cleaned and lubricated, but was missing the main spring. He told me to wait a moment, while he entered his RV to look for a spring, which he assured me was identical to a pocket watch spring. He came back empty handed but promised to bring it to the next swap meet. I saw him often after that, always without the promised spring. Finally, he chased me down several years later, handing me a sandwich baggie containing the long promised main spring with hand written instructions on correct installation. A sticky note on the baggie had my name and "No Charge". I found his RV one last time at another swap later that same year, his widow delivering her sad news.
How I long for the return of those truly Good Old Days.