View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #130
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Got an old brain? I need to pick it!!!!

Well!!!! I want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. I asked for memories and I got many. A lot of great ideas were mentioned and I went with a few suggestions.

Someone suggested Wrigley's Spearmint gum and it was a toss up between gum or Life Savors, I went with Life Savors mainly because of the heat and the longevity. Someone suggested a cash receipt spike, found a nice restored one. I already had the phone, 202 dated between 1930-34 and ashtrays were mentioned also. I remember the pistons being used to either hold pens or ashes, I already had a tire ashtray from Chicago dated 1934.

There was no way around not having a cash register so I finally found one, 1927 model, that was worth the money and someone who would ship it. Unfortunately it arrived with one pane of glass broke but that can be replaced but it works perfectly. One thing I came across quite by accident was a Revere Rubber Co glass business card desk holder. It has a patent of 1889 on it. I dated it somewhere late 20s/early 30s I haven't received that yet, Friday maybe. All in all, it's everything I was hoping to acquire, also the 1931 Rexall calendar and.............I dug out of my trunk my 1934 framed photo of me and my wife, Grace Grit. Her maiden name was Grit and she was the heiress to the Grit Newspaper empire, talk about a kid going from that scruffy newspaper boy to head publisher!!! A rags to riches story for sure. Thanks to everyone and their brain....that still worked!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote