View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 48 coupe-Results after lapping axle taper

Bolts, trying to keep up with your axle problems and updates on several different posts gets a little confusing.....for me anyway. I would suggest keeping all the info relative to the same problem on one thread.

Anyway, after looking at these axle pictures, I don't think the threaded end is bent on that one axle. I believe what you have are threads cut off center when you cut the threads down from 5/8" to 9/16" as you mentioned doing in another post. If this is the case, as others have mentioned, that axle nut will not torque down properly.

Also, that fuzzy looking stuff around the axle, near the wheel bearing journal, looks like someones failed attempt at a makeshift seal. The best thing you could do is replace all three of those lip seals (one in each axle housing and one at front of torque tube) if/when you take the rear apart to replace the axle(s).

And finally, those taper surfaces look much better after that lapping procedure. I have never seen axles that beatup before in the dozen or more rears I have taken apart.
Keep plugging away on this repair, you will get this done right and learn a lot in the process, with some coaching from the guys who post here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote