View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Default Re: LZ overdrive in a av8 model A. Anyone tried this?

The common operating solenoid was 1-inch from the edge of the alignment flange to the very tip pf the shaft. Convertible models with the special adapter were 1 1/2-inch in length. There were longer ones in odd applications which could be 2-inches long or longer but they are not common and due to the way the solenoid mount was made on the Lincoln unit, I'm afraid that the solenoid is in the Odd category. I don't have the prewar Lincoln parts catalog so I can't help but a person will need that part number to find the correct part. If a person has a piece of rod that can be inserted through the solenoid seal and bottomed out in the pawl socket then a rudimentary measurement of length could be gained. This old HAMB link has a photo where the length can be seen on the solenoid for a prewar Lincoln Continental.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...s-info.139084/

The 1941 thru 48 Lincoln unit is nearly a foot longer than the early V8 transmissions. The torque tube would have to be shortened a good bit for fit. These transmissions have close ratio gears so a person would have to use a rear axle ratio that would work well with it. Lincolns had their own distinct clutch actuating mechanism as well. The reverse lock out set up is important so all that stuff has to be there too.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-26-2022 at 11:39 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote