View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #21
mshmodela

Default Re: intermittent dead starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Witt View Post
I'm having an intermittent problem with the starter acting like it has no electrical power. I can jumper direct to the copper pass through and it still won't run, but most of the time it will turn the engine over nicely. So far it hasn't stranded me, but I know my luck will run out. Probably in front of an admiring crowd.

My thought is that there is an open winding that periodically ends up under the brushes, but I figure the forum will have some suggestions. I may take it off the car tomorrow for a closer look.

The battery is currently at 6.8V and the solenoid is closing with a solid click. All the connections between battery and starter are showing good voltage, but the starter is not pulling the battery down at all, so no current is passing through it.

Thanks,

John

My guess is your battery is weak... I'd put a charger on it for 12 hrs and see if that makes a difference... (My Battery became weak on a 2A trickle charger...) It was only after 2, 12hour charging sessions @ 6A did she have enough current to spin the engine... Thus far 4 months and no re-charging... and she held a charge without being started for 3 and half weeks..)

Anyway something simple to try...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote