Thread: Is my fan OK?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Is my fan OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
the 4 blade fan you have came from Ford as a replacement. It was original on a B engine. While not as easily broken as the original 2 blade A fan, they are old, and they can and do break from metal fatigue. I've been there on a tour when a 4 blade disintegrated on a member's car. Not to mention that with the 4 blade fan, a repair or replacement to the water pump requires removing the radiator. With a 2 blade fan, you can remove the radiator rods and top hose, pull the radiator forward a bit, rotate the 2 blades to horizontal, and remove and replace the pump without removing the radiator.

The reproduction aluminum 2 blade fan has been shown in a Model A Times article to cool better than the 4 blade as well as to be durable and reliable and ( happily) cheaper than the alternatives. I would replace that fan when I had the opportunity if it was on a driver that was driven often.
The 1932 Model B used the late '31 Model A style fan. The 4 blade fan was part number 46 8600 and introduced in 1933. The green bible shows the 4 blade fan (46 8600) as being the replacement fan for 1928 through 1934 four cylinder cars and trucks. The 4 blade fans are less likely to have a blade come off but that doesn't give me a real warm feeling. I think the current 2 blade aluminum fan is the way to go. Some of the early ones had problems and that is why I have included the word "current".

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote