View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
hardtimes

Default Re: Modern tube shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Original Ford shocks were designed to work with the car they were installed on. The car was designed to do a specific job. The combination works good.
Adding aftermarket shocks has gotten a bad rap because people don't understand what is involved.
Somebody puts together a "kit" and sells it as a cure all replacment.
Most of the time the kit is designed around a certain off the shelf shock that just happens to fit into the available space. Never mind the shock was originally intended to be used on a car weighing half again more than a model A. Of course the car is going to ride stiff...It may handle like a race car on the corners though but who cares...It rides hard so tube shocks are all lumped into the "ride hard" category.
Not one person in a hundred will take the time to research the available shocks to get ones that will work on a model A. It can be done.
Jackw,
Pay close attn to what Pete is saying here,as that is the answer to your Q. About five yrs ago, I did exactly as he says here and my '30 (light weight) roadster rides/corners very well. BTW, I did NOT buy a 'kit' off the vendors. The 'right' hydraulic tube shocks are available.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote