View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 10:14 PM   #98
petehoovie

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I took a corner brace I had, and welded an eye onto it and lagged it onto my house so I'd have something to attach the nearly horizontal lilac to. That's the steel cable up high under the eaves right next to 2014's Christmas lights....
And Skip I did not think about the variety of pilots in my seat grinder. I started this afternoon with 44 valve guides, all cleaned and reamed out real good with a stiff rifle type brush. While sliding them on and off some valves I found I had a stem with a slight bend. The guide would go about half way up the stem and stop. The tip of the valve stopped about 1/4" from coming through yhe guide. Rotating the guide, it stayed the same 1/4". I tried another cleaned guide and it stopped 3/8" from coming through. Some left 1/8", a few went neatly past the bend and up to the head. I then ran all 44 through from the opposite end of the guide with pretty much exact results. Once again rotating didn't change things. I painted the bent valve's head yellow to avoid a mixup.
With this method it was easy to arrange them in rows left to right with the least worn on the left. By process of elimination I sorted out the best 20 as keepers. The majority show 3/8"-5/16" short of coming through. . None of 'the chosen' show any wiggle that I can . Tomorrow I'll get out my pilots and run a test with the dial indicator just because I get what Skip had in mind now.....
I also now have seven more exhaust valves, guides and springs to through in the mix from the sludge mine. I'm having fun high grading my valve gear..

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote