View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 07:08 AM   #35
Mickd

Location: Tasmania Australia. The land of the REAL Tasmanian Devil
Talking Re: Advice for a New Father

Well....
This thread started in 2012. 40FordPU's boy would be 10 now ! Wonder if he's got grease under his fingernails yet.
Although I didn't bring my first project - a 52 Customline home untill I was 57, I always had hot rod mags lying around had mates in the game, went to the odd car show and no doubt waffled on endlesly about early Fords and always drove one.

One day when my eldest son was an adult he found one of his old "Dinky" toys in the toybox we kept around for the grandkids. It was a British Commer truck (Can't remember who bought him a bloody Commer- can't have been anybody on my side of the family !) So anyway he grinned when he found it because he'd pulled the fat wheels off some other little dinky toy race car and stuck them on the truck. He grinned at me and said something like "Ya could have nipped it the bud then Dad!" I replied that I'm glad I hadn't ! He's now got a BIG shed full of projects - rods, pickups, bikes.

His son, now 17 and 6ft 5inches is a 2nd year machine fitter & just dragged home a 79 F100 that needs a "little" restoring.. He was pretty happy when Grandad helped him fire it up for the first time in 8 years.
It's in the blood !
It gives a man a warm glow when his 17 year old grandson, is quite happy to give his old grandpa a big squeeze in front of his workmates and says "I love you Grandad".
....and I didn't have to work on it. It just happens when you do the right thing for your family.
(Shit ! Was it really over 50 years ago when I watched hid dad wind and squirm his way out into the world ! Time moves faster every year! especially when you're so old that you've outgrown your wisdom teeth. Does that mean that I'm old, but not wise?

Mick

(From the land of the REAL Tasmanian Devil)
Mickd is offline   Reply With Quote