View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #98
RUNNERBUN

Default Re: A drive around the block

Hello all once again. We have now travelled another 1606km / 998miles since my last report from Broken Hill. We have now covered a total distance of 12268km /7623miles on our journey.
Pleased to say that all is still going well, although I did suffer my first real breakdown since the start of our journey. We stopped for fuel and lunch at Wilcania and on take off my starter motor made a wirring sound and did not turn the motor over. Removed the starter to find that the Bendix spring had broken. An easy fix as we had a spare under the seat. We were soon on our way. We had also experienced a failing fan belt a couple of days earlier but again that was not a problem as we were also carrying a spare.
We have been experiencing great driving conditions since Broken Hill with clear blue sky and a tailwind all the way. The tailwind has been great news for our fuel consumption which shows a marked improvement.
We are now at Goondiwindi which is just over the border into the State of Queensland which means we are now in our home State. We are currently enjoying a rest day here.
Today is thee last day together as a group of three. My Brother who is driving the other Model A will be leaving us tomorrow when he will head east to his home town of Toowoomba while the Chev and myself will continue in a northerly direct to our home town of Mackay. We should arrive home in 3/4 days with all going well. As tonight will be our last night the 3 of us will be together we will go out to dinner to celebrate our journey.

It has been an mazing journey and I am so, so proud of the performance of my car. It has gone so well, far more than my greatest expectation. One broken Bendix spring and a failed fan belt other than regular grease and oil changes.

All going well my next report will be from home and I will give a summary of all statistics. Bye till then.

Picture captions:
1 Outback country we have travelled through.
2 The sun sets on another perfect day.
3 The sunset, west of Broken Hill
4 Nice sheltered position for a service
5 An Australian Shingle Back lizard (Harmless)
6 The Shingle back lizard.
7 A Goana (approx. 2ft 6 inches long)
8 Roadside lunch stop
9 Rough camping with fresh cut roses at the table.
10 Kangaroos in the wild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZZZOUTBACK BROKEN HILL.jpg (39.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1552.JPG (45.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1574.JPG (36.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1586.JPG (97.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1587.JPG (76.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1590.JPG (206.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1600.JPG (207.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1603.JPG (151.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1617.JPG (95.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1514.JPG (142.3 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 10-17-2014 at 07:15 PM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote