Thread: Exciting day!
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default Exciting day!

I took the coupe out to go to a friend's and while the engine ran very well, the steering was loose and the brakes went further down to the floor than ever before! Both problems required immediate attention. When I got home I jacked it up and began investigating.
First the steering! This my fault, I bought a new Pitman arm (short) and I used a 3/8 clamping bolt. This is a no no! The correct bolt is a 7/16-14 Grade 8 (14 or 20 TPI ?) Guess what! almost no play in the steering wheel when properly tightened. The 3/8 grade 5 bolt was distorting in some way (it took months) to loosen itself. But it did loosen. I had to file a step in the head to fit the locking step, of the new bolt.
That done, I went after the brake problems. I have an hydraulic system (Not installed by me) and I replaced the master cyl. (single) with a dual cyl. It's a good thing I did! The fitting on the rear worked it's way loose (?) a leaked out all the fluid in the rear circuit. The worst part is that it's odd tee ( 2 female and 1 male. 1 fem. 1/8 npt and one male 1/8 npt, 1 fem. 3/8 - 24) and three visits to local AP stores good not produce any replacements.
I'm posting this to give a little info. on the "Other side" of the hyd. vs Mech. brake question. I haven't driven a car with mechanicals yet, but from all reports, they are just as good as a Hyd. system.
I have a suspicion that my problems are from misidentifying the threads in the MC as 1/8 npt and they might be 3/8 - 24 nf. I will find out today.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote