View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Larry Brumfield

Default Re: Vapor Lock 101 ?

Marc, your problem may not have been vapor lock at all.

Is vapor lock a continuous thing even with a continuous, GRAVITY FED, fresh supply of cooler gas going in the carburetor from the tank? I don't think so. The carb and fuel line would have to be really hot for that to happen continuously especially while moving down the road.

Now I have seen a few complaints from people claiming the fuel boiled in their carbs after they turned off their engines on a hot day. If they start up and attempt to leave immediately, the engine will sputter and pop some until a fresh supply of cooler gas flows on in. This makes sense.

Now an engine with a mechanical fuel pump can be a different story especially in a place like CO. on a hot day straining up a steep hill or mountain. The vapor lock typically occurs at the pump itself.

But on a gravity fed system vapor lock does not make much sense in my opinion. The fuel would really have to be heat sensitive even in CO. or higher altitude.

There could have been a tiny piece of dirt or trash temporarily stuck in that carb from Berts and it passed on through.

Drive the car out again along the same route on the next 100* day and see if the problem returns.

Larry B.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 07-18-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote