View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Tie rod end adjustment help needed

Where is the outer face of the end plug relative to the ind of the tie rod? Is it recessed. When I assembled my Roadster all the parts were NOS. I simply ran the plug in until it was flush and I have exceptional stability.

Now here are some numbers to ponder. The springs have a free length of 1". They should be totally collapsed at .700". If I recall correctly, the plugs are 20 tpi. That means that if you ran the plug in until the spring is fully collapsed and then back it off one full turn (.050") the spring should then be collapsed 1/4". That sounds too tight to me. I wouldn't expect them to be tightened to within .050" of spring bind. However if following the procedure outlined above results in the plug ending up nearly flush then I would be wrong.

I tested various springs against the Ford specs some years back and posted the results on the old Fordbarn but can't find my notes right now. However the modern replacement springs had less spring pressure than originally so I'd be very surprised if that was a contributing factor as described in your original post.