View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #17
bbrocksr

Default Re: Alternator & ampmeter are fine...NOW WHAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tom View Post
UPDATE

Well, I don't know whether my battery is the problem or not. I pulled it out today and was ready to test each cell with a hydrometer. Regrettably, the battery is 'maintenance free' and sealed. So there's no access to the cells.

I bought it at CarQuest 15 months ago, and it's the "Premium" line of batteries. I took it to CarQuest and explained my dilemma. They tested it on their battery tester and concluded that it was just fine.

Tomorrow I'll install another 12V battery that I have and see if it discharges when I start the engine (as happens with my CarQuest battery).

If the second battery performs as the CarQuest battery does, I'm back to square-one with zero ideas about where to look next....

In post # 11 I asked how the ammeter is wired. The output from Bat. post on the alternator must pass through the ammeter and then to the battery to register. If it is not wired this way your ammeter will not show a charge even though the system is charging.
Hook a voltmeter to the battery, it should read 12 volts then start the engine and rev it up a little,if it shows an increase the system is charging but not showing on the ammeter. This would be the first test they would perform if you took it to a shop. Its called " Troubleshooting".
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote