View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Greg out west

Exclamation Re: Knotts all Ford show

Hey Bluesunoco,,

My old man traded in a "Nice" 66 Caddy "Deville" for a 73 Pinto wagon after the first "Gas Crisis" in 73-74... I did like the little wagon But,,It was poorly made & after see the documentary on the gas tank "Fire's" I never felt safe in that car..

Alway's looking in the rear view mirror as I came to a stop...I did more work on that car than anything he ever "owned"...Ford recalled the sedan to install the shield on the tank..I was over at the Ford dealer & asked about why Ford never had to recall the wagon.

The guy at the part's said the wagon was good for a extra 5 MPH on a rear impack..So it was good for 22 -23 Mph vs. 17 for the sedan..I asked how much was the shield ? He said $ 100 buck's...I latter went & got a shield at the wreaking Yard..

When you had 4 people in the car the little 4 cyl engine was way too small to pull all the weight..& only got about 15 MPG around town & maybe 23 on the freeway...Here's a shocker,,My old 88 Caddy get's better gas mileage !!! About 15 in town & 30 on the freeway.. & this is with a small V8

The sad part is I really did liked the car,,,One time I was talking to this old guy at the swap meet about the safety of the A gas tank,,,He said it's safer than a "Pinto"...That said it all,,,

Greg out west,
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote