View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Dick Carne

Default Re: 6 Volts versus 12

Over the years I've used generators, 6 and 12-volt alternators. But at least for me, and after almost 50 years of playing with these old cars, I prefer the 12 volt alternator and electrical system. At night with a 6-volt system, I noticed that the lights would dim while waiting at traffic lights and stop signs, not to the point of "going dark", but enough that it was noticeable to me unless I ran the RPM's up instead of the standard idle. And while I am not as concerned with my ability to see long distances (over-driving your lights), I am concerned with other cars' ability to see me.

As has also been noted, a less than good ground is not as noticeable with a 12-volt system. As a side benefit, the faster spinning starter usually means that the engine starts with just a fraction of the starting time, often just a touch once the car is warm. That being said, either system will work fine if you have good connections and maintain your electrical system - the 12 volt system just allows more latitude. Just my opinion though.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote