Thread: GM distributor
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: GM distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
I have a loadomatic on my 51 mercury engine.When i timed it i hooked up vacl line and was no different at idle.
I marked 1 " and 1 1/2" just to see how much it moves.Rev up moves 1 1/2 max.
Like vac wipers they must stop,or retard when going up hill.
My problem going up hill the engine runs hotter.I,m geared to run 55 at 2000 rpms.
Now full advance with mechial advance is set at 2500prms,it would be less then full.I think Ford wanted full at 2000.
Now if at same speed and no retard from vac,would i run cooler or same temp.
If a old chevy ponts dist was used, could one be made for flathead,they were good and not big like hei.
George ,

Thats pretty typical for the loadamatic distributor. I would first try a new vacuum diaphram from Mac Van Pelt and see if that fixes the problem, assuming you are not running a radical cam and multple carbs the load amatic will fix the problem.

We do the chevrolet conversions (the chevy v8 distributor was one of the best ever made )and a typical unit is 18-24 degrees at 2500 rpm with no vacuum needed, straight mechanical.

Many of our customers have noticed the engine runs cooler with the mechanical advance.

As a Ford Barn experiment i would be more than happy to ship you one to try as a experiment ...just let me know...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote