View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #49
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Owning a Model A vs model T

FWIW on early Chevrolets: I remember my paternal grandmother's neighbor, (an old maid) had a very well kept 1932 smooth running original Chevrolet (2) door sedan that her Dad had bought for her in 1932.

She always kept it in an enclosed garage where she backed it out, washed it about every (2) weeks, and drove it right back in. Upholstery was original and in perfect shape. Everything including lights, wiper, etc., worked.

On several occasions, after I had my Model A, in the late 1950's and early 1960's she asked me to drive her to the gas station 5 miles away to buy gas, exercise the engine, and allow the generator to recharge the battery.

To be honest, it appeared and rode far superior to my raggedy 1930 Model A coupe with canvas seat covers, R C Cola metal sign material for side windows, rusty body, no shocks, with a worn out smoking engine, and a wood box that replaced the rumble seat.

Years prior, she said she made several to & from, (total 140 mile), trips going to the nearest city.

It had 6 cylinders, overhead valves, and a pull-out Free Wheeling knob. It had about 51,000 miles on it in about 1965, and it appeared to ride and drive like a very quiet and very well maintained modern car. Her grand nephews sold it in about 1971 for about $1,500.00 and greatly regretted it until today.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote