View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #14
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Sluggish starter

A few years ago, I had a weak/slow starter and after reading Tom W. on auxiliary ground cables, decided to make one up and install it , not expecting much! I did and I was pretty surprised at how much of a difference it made. Not only did it spin and start faster, but the battery's reserve of voltage lasted longer. I wonder how this could be until I thought about it. Lessee, you ground to a frame rail and the ground current's path then goes through a riveted steel joint and eventually joins with the engine block. What could possibly go wrong? Well, a lot of power gets lost going through those rusty joints. Bypassing all that steel and rust with about two feet of copper line and a more direct ground connection makes a big difference. Furthermore,I had online friend, who had been an engineer for Boeing and his words to live by when doing electrical work were "Clean, bright, and tight!" And as long as it's only an auxiliary cable, you can use 12V cable. It's not the best, but It will do the job.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote