View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
Ford56

Default Re: Car died 2 blocks from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
The Ford starter/neutral switch is mounted to the base of the steering column on a bracket held in place with a U-bolt. It is located just behind the steering gearbox. the switch is fastened to that bracket with two 5/16" hex-head self-tapping machine screws. The switch has slotted holes to allow for proper adjustment. If one of those screws is missing, it is not enough to hold the switch in place securely. I suggest replacing the missing screw.
I was told by the shop mechanic, a guy in his 60's who seemed to know all about this type of vintage, that it should have had two screws holding that bracket in, and there was only one, and he tightened that one, and added the missing one. When I drove it home Wednesday, I made several 90 degree turns w/o problems. Today, I checked all the connections suggested above, and all is good; no loose or frayed wires, and no corrosion on any cables or wires I can see. I know its always possible there is corrosion under a part of insulation, and it would break the electrical circuit, but everything is only a few years old, so, I'm reluctant to start just pulling out parts to replace what "could" be the problem.

I started the car up today, and it fired right up. I didn't get a chance to take it out, and probably won't for a few days, but, when I do, I'll get back to everyone with follow up/status.

I really appreciate the suggestions, if for no other reason, to confirm what I was thinking, and point out something I might have forgotten from "back in the day" when I had these kinds of cars, over 50 years ago. Can you believe it, right??!! LOL.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote