View Single Post
Old 02-26-2024, 04:50 PM   #4
alchemy

Default Re: Stories from the past

I'm not an ol timer (only 57), but I do remember some great deals that were had in the past. I remember an auction probably 30 or 40 years ago when Dad bought an NOS 59A block still in cosmoline. I'd guess he paid $100 for it.

I remember going to the Atlantic, Iowa swap meet and buying a Thickstun hirise intake, with original red paint, for $25. Or maybe it was $35?

Saw a pair of Kinmont brakes at the Des Moines swap meet and lusted over them, but I couldn't pay for them ($400). Oh well. And then on my next birthday guess what was my best present!

Dad would tell how when he was a teen his Dad and he went to the junkyard and the junky turned an Olds on it's side so they could torch the motor mounts loose. That overhead went into Dad's 40 coupe. Dad's coupe had 50 Buick taillights on it, so whenever we see those lights on a car at a show now, we say "check out those 40 Ford lights".

And, the story how Dad's older brother painted another 40 coupe orange, and the entire inside of the small one-stall garage was tinted orange. But that car later ended up wrapped around a telephone pole.

I grew up going to car shows in the back of the family hot rod, a chopped top 33 tudor. If I hear a little Waylon and Willie on the radio it takes me right back to those days.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote