Thread: Sealed beams
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 09:15 AM   #7
Keith True

Default Re: Sealed beams

I think people are not aware of how the new LED's work.The focus is in the bulb,or globe.They do NOT get focused like an incandescent bulb.With incandescent bulbs the light particles bounce off the reflectors and get tossed out the front.The shape of the reflector and position of the filament is important.With the new LED's the reflector is just a bracket to hold the bulb,it does NOT get used to reflect the light,or to focus the beam.Aiming is VERY important.I have a wall with a marked grid to aim truck headlights.Aiming against the wall using normal methods will not cut it.I aimed the A headlights with the new LED's using that wall I've used for over 35 years.Then I went to a friends garage who does inspections,they all have to have headlight aimers for LED's now.I was WAY off.After I tipped the lights down to set them to the machine specs,I went to my shop and aimed them at my old wall markings.They looked the same as they did before,against the wall,but were no longer blinding.That machine reads different spectrums of light,and is pretty simple to use,and accurate.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote