View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 12:15 AM   #1
toyflyr

Default Packard 3 speed to 8BA

This is my first post on the Ford Barn. I’ve searched and read for several years but have been quiet in the corner of the barn. My history with flatheads is I built an 8BA for a Lakester in 2001 and in 2003 we set records in XFGL and XFFL at Bonneville. 284 cube, homemade manifold with a Brazwell 650 carb, Danny Crower cam with Johnsons, 6.8 compression, had the ports extrude honed after shaping them. We used nitrous for the fuel record. Set at 196.5 mph on gas and 207.15 mph on fuel and they are still in the books under Tracer Racing Modesto California. I fell in love with flatheads then and there. Making it stay together on the long course for over a minute at 5500 rpm and not fall off was a challenge.
I acquired a 31 coupe 16 years ago and started collecting part to build a highboy coupe. 2 years ago I started working it seriously, chopping 3 1/2 inches. I stretched it 6 inches and capped it. Of course it will has an 8BA in front. Champ quick change in the back and intentions to put a Packard 3 speed top shift with an R11 overdrive on it.
If I haven’t lost you by now with my babbling, my question to the forum is I am wondering about adapting the Packard. I’ve got a 53 truck bell housing and a aluminum adapter plate from Patrick at Wilcap (several years ago,probably 15 years) that fits both the trans and the bell housing. With out any clutch parts in and mounted to the engine, the trans input is 1 inch from the pilot and it seems like the splines may not penetrate the disc much ( I haven’t got a disc for it yet).
I know that this was a good swap years ago but don’t know if anybody has done it lately and has any advice as to which parts they used or made.
It is extremely unlikely that there is a direct bell housing made for this swap although there used to be.
I also have a iron ring and starter plate probably Mercury, instead of the 53truck, along with a aluminum hogs head. It measures the same depth as the 53 bell.

Any help or advice?
Terry Lucas
toyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote