View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: '49 8BA Valve stem seals

I'm not sure whether the PCV will lower oil burning, change it to more efficient oil burning, or possibly end it!
Stock system: Car movement and/or backwash from fan over the draft tube hypothetically pull crud out, clean air in via the filler cap. Not very consistent or powerful. PCV replaces draft tube, provides more pull and consistency.
It might...dump oil into system in a new place upstream and leave you chugging along in a blue cloud, it might allow the oil burning to be more thorough and clean, but I hope it will motivate oil not to climb through your guides as much! Dunno, but it is an experiment I would try if motivated not to do a real teardown and valve job!
Best place for it, if your manifold is so drilled, is the plug around behind where windshield wiper fitting lives that is meant for truck vac brakes...this contains 2 small drillings into both chambers of manifold and the 3/8 or whateve pipe threads are easily adapted to a hose.
Stock seals cover only outside diameter of guides...on an old engine I doubt they are the problem, as that area should now be completely sealed by fried crud!

Last edited by Bruce Lancaster; 05-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote