View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
dlshady

Default Re: The true history on Edison's Model A...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
The reason I ask is because Edison's car just may have come from the Kearny assembly plant and not Fordson...And if that was the case, it sure was not any of those engines that went to final assembly at Fordson (Dearborn), for which we have a record of, but Kearny. This includes A1 and A14.

I know I may be farting in the wind here...been known to do that once in a while, and it could of been just a "photo shot" but contained in the February 1, 1928 issue of Ford News Vol. 8 Number 6, is a photo of Thomas Edison, in a Tudor Sedan and the caption reads "Thomas A. Edison in the first Model A to be built at the Kearny plant".

Unfortunatly...that is all it says about it...BUT...It is "the first Model A to be built..." just not at Fordson (Dearborn).

So...If this is the case, maybe someone near Kearny or there abouts could do some research in the old area newspapers...maybe...just maybe!

Hmmmmmmm...I wonder?!

Pluck
Somewhere, within the last couple days, I read that Edison returned his car to Ford for the body swap and didn't receive it back until May 1928 because Ford was so busy getting production up to speed. (Might have been at the link posted above by mhsprecher) If I recall correctly, the article stated that Edison was given the honor of driving the first car off the line at Kearny while his car was at Ford being rebodied.

But then again, just because somebody wrote it in a book doesn't automatically make it true. Of course I did read it on the internet, so....