View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
supergnat

Default Re: Tie rod end adjustment help needed

Pilot Dave,
I just went back out and tried backing off the tie rod plug screws until it felt free enough to me but then the cotte pin would not go in the hole brcause the plug was out too far. There is also a slight squeek noise when I move the spindles back and forth through their travel. I then removed the plugs completely and it was kind of loose but the squeek was still there caused by the pressure of the inner tie rod teflon cup against the spindle arm balls. I popped the tie rod off and checked to ensure that bothe spindles move freely (they do). I had the new bushings installed in the spindle and the king pins matched by a reputable Model A shop that also rebuilds engines so the king pin fit should be good.

I measured the new springs and they are one inch long as are the originals. The teflon cups that fit into the springs are also the same thickness as the original metal ones. Perhaps the new springs are too strong? I could try to old springs to see if they work better. Perhaps this is how thigt they should be? I am stumped. By the way all of the balls on the spindle arms and pitman arm are one inch in diameter. I think that is correct. Any suggestions?
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote