Thread: Mystery
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
Ted Duke

Default Re: Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
For the last 3 years every Sunday evening after church I drive my roadster pickup to visit my mother that lives in a rest home. I drive a 60 mile round trip. For the last 2 years on my way back home the engine pops and dies with in 100 yards of the same place every Sunday. I have drained and cleaned the gas tank, I only buy gas with out ethanol, I keep it tuned up good. All I have to do is loosen the strained on the zenith carb and let a small amount of gas run out and it always has plenty of pressure there but never have any rust. I screw it back and climb in and resume driving at 40 to 50 mph. Haven't missed a Sunday in two years.
Golddigger,

I once had a friend whose car would drive fine for awhile and then QUIT. He would coast to the side of the road, and sometimes it would start right away, and sometimes not for awhile. Long story short, PING-PONG ball in gas tank, he had po'ed some neighbor kids.

Ping Pong ball, unlikely. Old soggy cork float? Piece of something else?

Ted

P.S. I also had the same problem with a 1971 VEGA (Motor Trend Car of the Year) built like a tank, but shoddy workmanship and NO design, but that problem was a loose wire that caused a perceived low oil pressure to cut the fuel pump off.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote