View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Mr. Will

Default Re: 6 Volt V8 Generator System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
Hi Dan, I run a stock 32 Tudor, with an original generator and cut-out. Recently had the armature on the genny re-wound, and with the 3rd brush moved all the way up I get 12 amps charge with lights off and a fraction of positive charge with the lights on. So what I do now is run around with the lights on if I drive more than 15 mins down the road.

Now I've got the genny whacking out some good volts, I think I'm going to buy the Fun Products cut-out. My thinking is that it saves some hassle, and probably extends the life of your battery, hence saving a few quid that way.

I am not an electrical expert, but i wonder if your battery is a little bit sick. If I put mine on charge overnight, I would expect it to show over 6.5 on the volt meter. I could easily be wrong, but just thought you should keep an eye on it. A duff battery can lead you to make all sorts of wrong assumptions about your electrical system, as I have found out to my own cost!

Cheers, Tom.
Tom, I am keeping a close watch on the battery. It is a Optima 8010-044 800cca. It has a 12/12 issue date so it is only about 9-months old. I have done a fair amount of driving at night and I think it just got wore down and the charging system with the D100 cutout could not keep up. I put a trickle charge on it for 36hrs and it came up to 6.59 volts. I think the Fun Projects voltage regulator will fill the ticket. At least I hope it does... http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en...rting-battery/

Thanks for your input.
Dan
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote