View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #23
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Harbor Freight Tools vs. China Bashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Why not try the recycle stores. There is one nearby that I check out weekly. Folks that are clearing out granpa's house dump off an amazing range of tools that the new generation cannot even begin to recognize. Sockets of all sizes at 25 cents to 50 cents each, of all kinds of provenance. I fish through the bins for the older domestic stuff and it is amazing what can be found. I have picked all kinds of original Ford and K.R Wilson tools. An unused set of Model A valve seat grinders for 75 cents - why not? I have found stuff of a level of quality that is no longer being produced anywhere. The recycle store only holds thing for a month or so before before sending it off to the scrappers. I wonder what China does with Ford chrome-vanadium steel these days?
around me alot of the recycle stores want dang near the same price as new for name brand stuff. A few times they wanted more for very well used beatup dewalt grinders than they were new!

I will stick to my HF stuff. same no ask warranty as craftsman, works just as good if not better. Have broken several craftsman sockets but HF stuff keeps on going. Have put their deep well 1/2" drive impact sockets thru hell and back with no issues besides some of the labels as to what size they are worn off.

The only electric thing ive killed from harbor freight was that cheapo $10 angle grinder. Granted i was using WAY to long for way to thick of metal (cuttong the front crossmember out of my AA) and ended up melting the power switch... Been dropped numerous times over the years but still worked great. Replaced it with the same $10 wonder grinder.

At work nearly all of my tools are harbor freight. i do machine maintenance and use them daily. Nothings really given me grief, i have broken a few screwdriver tips off of flatheads using them as pry bars (my own fault) but the warranty still covered it.

Just because something says Made in USA doesn't mean a single part was made in usa - may have been put together here but every component came from mexico, china, or india....Or clothes - made in usa - shirt may have been stitched here but the material came from overseas.

if you want quality tools buy German made stuff.