Thread: Valve Job Blues
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Valve Job Blues

Herm, I've got to dissagree. People have been using larger intake valves for more performance for ages. Slightly larger valves have also been used so that burned seats, intake or exhaust could be ground enough to reach good metal. With a little work with a die grinder, the underside of the ports can be enlarged to match the bottom of the seat. I do port work on my modified model A engines and it certainly does make a difference in performance. This sort of thing has been performed since before either of us were born. If you can't see an advantage, you are just making it obvious what you don't know.

I have no doubt that you can properly install valve seats. There are lots of people that can't properly install valve seats. Good automotive machine shops are getting few and FAR between, model A owner beware. This is not a pissing contest. I'm not in competition with anyone here,I only do my own engines and i'm not new to model A's.

I didn't say that valve seats cool the block!! I said that replacement valve seats are not part of the block and don't cool the valve the same as the original seat that vas part of the block. Cylinder sleeves, valve seats and spark plug adapters don't transfer the heat to the water jacket the same as the original parts that were one and the same as the block and head. Thats not saying that sleeves, valve seats and spark plug adapters won't work, its just a last resort to save an engine and it will effect engine temps. The valves cool while they are on the seat, even a few thousants of of lash will make a big difference in cooling the valve. If the seat doesn't transfer the heat the same as original , you will be faced with the aggravation of a valve job much quicker.

I agree that cast iron is softer than some grades of stainless or even carbon steel. The word is that the gas , back in the day didn't didn't have tetraethyl lead until 1931.Most model A's had to run unleaded gas . It is also known that model A's don't have to have hardened valve seats. I've got lots of core engines and none of them have hammered out valve seats like you describe. I've still got my first model A engine and I have only needed to cut the valve seats once in over 50 years. Nothing That I have said here is new or unheard of. Find sombody else to pick on.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote