View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 08:52 PM   #18
Joe K

Default Re: Turning the steering wheel from + to X position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
BTW the worm gear and shaft have a key to keep the worm gear from turning on the shaft.
l
On the two-tooth worms I have removed, the interior of the worm is "splined" with short spline-like protuberances. The fit of the worm to the steering shaft is "interference" (and not "indexed.") - which on re-installation most rebuilders advise to back up with Lock-tite not red.

Removal of the worm is easy - get a piece of 1" black iron pipe longer than the steering shaft, place the shaft within the pipe with the worm "up", and then "rap" the pipe/shaft sharply against concrete until the shaft is removed by momentum.

Re-installation CAN be a little trickier. I have "bucked up" the steering shaft and used a press ("buckling" of the steering shaft can occur if unreinforced in the pressing) or (better) tap the worm end of the shaft and then use allthread/nut/washer to "pull" the worm into position.

Check the worm/bearing races for "concentricity" relative to the shaft lest you create a "bind." (i.e. worm at angle to the shaft.) The installation is "material displacing" after the manner of interference fits.

Joe K