Thread: Barn Find
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Barn Find

I concur with others that more detailed pictures would be needed to pinpoint an accurate date but for now it is a 30/31 Sport Coupe.

While beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, my description of "trashed" vs. hers is different. I feel the car is VERY restorable if enough resources are thrown at it.

It might seem biased when I say this but in my line of work, I believe the hobbyists that seem to enjoy their cars the most are the ones that own a family member's car. The care & respect they give to that car, ...and joy they get from talking about a family member's car is really neat to watch ( "This was my Dad's old truck.", or "This was my Mom's Buick", ...or my grandpa's Model-A).

While we have restored several "family member cars", two or three that stick out in my mind are a 1931 S/W Fordor where the owner (now deceased) was 12 years old when he went with his grandparents to the Ford Dealership in July of 1931 to trade in their 1930 68B on this Sedan. All these years the car stayed in the family and about 5 years ago one of his son's paid to have the car restored for his Dad. Once the restoration was completed, we/they took that car to several shows where the son and the dad would visit with people as they looked at his car. He also would drive the car to town on errands and would tell stories to anyone who would listen. Now the son is the caretaker of the car and is doing the same thing.

Another car we restored is a '29 Bus. Coupe that the owner's dad purchased the car new. She was born after that time but she remembers the car all through her childhood as her dad even carried the mail with it during the 50's. Now she & her husband enjoy driving it and talking about it.

The final one that I think is neat is a '28 Roadster P/U that the owner's wife's grandfather purchased new out in Idaho. The truck was delivered to the small rural town by rail, and the grandmother was taught how to drive it at the train depot by the R/R workers where she then drove the new pick-up home. The "grandpa" used the truck in his masonry business and it was well "worn". Even the driver's side running board had the treads worn through from him spinning his boot on the running board as he climbed in. We left the running board "as-is" with the holes worn in as a tribute to the original owner.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote