View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 07:17 PM   #12
Alberta50fordor

Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record, but the best carburetion for the engine you have and the way you drive is a small base Rochester 2G from a 265 or 283 SBC on a bored out Mercury 4-bolt manifold. The small base 2G flows about as much as 2 94's or 97's and is a lot easier to tune. You will have to change the distributor to use one though.

Also, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the CR numbers from the manufacturers charts. There are too many factors affecting the final CR. The heads should also be checked and modified for optimum efficiency (increasing both performance and economy). The camshaft can also effect the dynamic compression ratio; do you know what's in your engine?
Yeah, ideally I’d run the 4bbl but I haven’t been able to find one yet, there is one on rock auto last time we looked for out 55 bel air but then it’s another 800 or so and I have a surplus of 94’s especially since the tri power came all set up with three other than the fuel lines, the distributer is planned, 12 volt is first though and I needed to buy a 12v solenoid for the overdrive, how do you modify the offenhauser heads for efficiency? I have a hunch it’s a stock cam due to the high compression heads so there can’t be much lift, it’s another thing I need to check, I can just see how much a valve moves off it’s seat? The guy who built the engine just stuck a stock distributer in with the tri power which seamed a little odd unless he changed out the springs?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote