View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #13
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Primer or no primer on chassis parts

The key is to use the correct products and keep it thin to prevent chipping.

As always read the directions and follow them for each product.

Epoxy to properly prepared surfaces is a very tight bond. Modern 2 part (2k) paints applied during the recoat window of the epoxy should give maximum adhesion.

It is winter time, epoxy paint should be sprayed when the part and environment can be kept above 60 degrees or so (again read the directions) for the right amount of time (depends on the paint). If the epoxy reaction is stopped due to cold it does not restart, this is per my discussion with the owner of SPI paints.

Avoid etching primers. They are a common fail point as they are too easy to apply improperly. Putting epoxy over them can increase the chance of failure. This is per my discussion with the owner of SPI and my observations over the years. I have seen a number of cars where the paint peeled off leaving a nice coating of etching primer.

POR 15 works great till it fails. It specifically sticks to rust as the instructions are clear about this. The problem is rust is not well adhered to the metal. So when it fails it seems to come off in a perfect sheet of the part.

Anyway, some things to consider.

There are lots of ways to paint stuff. You just need to know how the stuff works well enough to apply it properly. Read the directions and remember they are not recommendations, they are how the manufacturer found the product works best.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote