View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
spdway1

Default Re: Water-Damaged Cars (off-topic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I saw those pictures on the news the other night. Lots of CT towers have been working o/time to move cars. My understanding is they are all being "salvage" auctioned.
Paul in CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Monday morning quaterbacking going on here I know, but with the advance hurricane warnings that were given, why didn't more owners get their cars to 'high ground', so to speak? What with the Internet, forums, car clubs, even AAA, etc., surely a guy could have found a safe haven a few hundred miles inland (outdoor/indoor storage yard, someone's garage or backyard, empty hangers, etc.).
The old car community is made up of many generous and helpful people, willing to haul a car to safety for gas money or provide storage space for the duration of the storm, etc. Just two days' time spent (a day before the storm and a day after) would have saved a lot of grief. Maybe a lesson for next time!
I have thought the same thing...

Here is a modern car example...I have seen with my own eyes, Hyundai had 15,000 brand new vehicles fresh off the boat on the dock in NJ during the storm, all damaged. They decided it was cheapest to bring a large mobile metal shredder and shred EVERY NEW vehicle onto barges for recycling!!

Some of the other car manufacturers that had new cars damage on the dock either for import or export, sold them in huge lots to vehicle parts recycling facilities which will be sold off as parts only and or scrapped. A local yard to me has junked every car they had in inventory prior to the storm and replaced them with over 4000 "new" damaged cars from the storm. The place looks like a muddy new car dealer filled with new shiny cars.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote