View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #26
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 6 Volts versus 12

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Out of curiosity I jus tstopped at my local NAPA, asked if they had this 50$ alternator like used in the model A, --a 1 wire alternator,12V, --it's not listed under modelA, they don't have a 1 wire alternator listing, the standard 73 chevy alternator is 105$ ---so what 50$ alternator do you ask for when you go into "any" auto parts store??

I can understand the need to be able to get parts for your modified A at any parts store, my 74 Chevy has needed alternator repairs 3 times in the 35 years I have had it, in the 42 years I have had the A I have repaired the generator 1 time, that was on the first drive, and it was due to using a repro cutout that failed open.

As for how long can you run 50cp bulbs or seal beams without charging depends on how good your battery is, and it's state of charge at the start of the "test", I do know it will be less time than if you are using the 35 watt direct fit Halogen bulbs, my car had sealbeams whenI got it, then I had 50cp bulbs, I would need a 18+ amp charge rate to have them bright enough to see, and still had a - charge rate with them on, when I put in the halogen bulbs I cut back the charge rate to 14-15 amps, and have a +1 amp charge with the halogen bulbs and 2 tail lights.

I would rather have a reliable original car than have to worry about planning my trips around the locations of the NAPA and other auto parts stores to keep replacing the "modern" improvements.

What alternator do you ask for at "any" parts store?
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote