View Single Post
Old 05-11-2024, 10:12 PM   #230
petehoovie

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
My tester worked well and I found some variations among the pumps as expected. Two of the bevel gear pumps showed 57 with valve closed, one showed 63 and another 75. The two best ones (both original ford)showed 40 with valve fully open which is a through a 3/16" orafice. The melling had an angled wear pattern on it's base plate. Any wear on ford plates was flat, but the pumps with wear on the plates clearly showed worse in the open valve position. The melling also dropped of considerably in the open position. The winner at 75/40 is that first one I tried, but the drive gear shows movement on the pin. I have driven out that pin and will be a tomorrow project as dinner was ready. I think cas3's flipping the plate idea would be quite beneficial and I forgot to mention the straight gear version of the short pump only pumped to 50 lbs closed valve and about 20 open. Had a lot of interuptions today. Maybe tomorrow I can do some flow tests. Edit: These tests were performed with hydraulic fluid in the warm sun, about 75 today. I would guess the hydraulic fluid seemed consistent with motor oil at operating temperature.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote