View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 10:43 AM   #20
deuce_roadster

Default Re: (Best) copper head gasket and offenhauser aluminum heads

I have never had ANY overheating issues with any of the flatheads I have built. Some had copper Felpros, most were Best composite, all gaskets used as they came from the package and all ran thermostats, some aluminum some iron heads. In fact, when I fired up my avatar roadster for the first time, I hadn't put the thermostats in yet and it wouldn't get above 110 degrees and ran like crap, once above 150 with stats it ran great. These 8 or 9 engines were all either stock 3 1/16 24 stud motors for concourse or 59 series with merc cranks, Ross pistons with metric rings and 2 97s or 2 81s or Holley 4 bbls and mild cams. Blocks were either NOS or Redi-stripped and completely clean of sand and crap from the foundry. I know the desire to make things better is large but when everything is the way it is supposed to be (airflow, fan, timing, F/A mixture) I don't believe modifying the head gasket holes will make any actual difference in a street driven situation. If you are doing Bonneville and 6000+ RPM maybe it would. I have never blown a head gasket or needed to replace one either, so I don't grease them. That is my experience, my 1st car was a Model A I put a 24 stud engine in when I was 12 and I'm 74 now.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote