View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 06:22 PM   #130
GB SISSON

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

My big valve day started out slowly. My valve face grinder came with an aftermarket electric submersible pump for the coolant. I tried it back when I got it and it whirred so I thought was good. Nope, took it apart 3 times, cleaned, inspected, motor spins, nice o ring seal, nylon impeller no damage. Won't pump a drop. So I go to the backup other sioux, same model. Belt drive pump but broken cast iron bracket and no belt. Wasted the morning. After lunch I rigged up a gravity feed. Was a pain refilling and messy. Used tractor hydraulic fluid. So, now I have them all ground and have questions.
Margins. I have read quite a bit but a lot of valve info is for overheads and stuff that's gonna be raced at 8000 rpms etc. Seems intake valves can have fairly thin margins as incoming air cools them. Exhausts want like .10" thick margins. These ar my two thinnest exhaust valves after grinding. I don't see that thickness, but somehow they seem ok. You can see I did a quick lap on one. One thing about the margins confuses me. Does a valve ever get ground around it's circumference to attain a thicker margin or is that self defeating. Seems a thick valve transfers heat to the seat better, and a thin margine burns easier. Do these valves look OK for exhaust valves? The intakes are all about this thick, but their stems measure a little bigger, generally .341 with exhausts .0005 smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valvejob.jpg (80.1 KB, 126 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote