View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 07:26 PM   #14
Rob Doe

Default Re: Balancing wire wheels with steel plate welded inside

Balanced the two front wheels and tires using the left and right front spindles. It was my first time to try the manual method. I started with the bearing nut just a bit loose to get maximum sensitivity in the bearings and backed off any brake drag. The wheel and tire will continue for 25+ revolutions and easily reverse direction with minimum out of balance

Balanced the hub and drum. .5 ounce of stick on weights made it stop in random places around the drum.

Added only the wheel. The wheel required virtually no weights.

Added the tube and tire and had to add 4, 1/4 ounce stick on weights.

On the right side wheel and tire, the same procedure was repeated. The hub/drum required 1/2 ounce, the wheel none. The tube and tire was a different story. The heavy spot required 4.5 ounces to balance things. I removed the tire and left the tube on the wheel. I placed a good bit of air in the tube and attempted to balance. This required 4 ounces. What a surprise, the out of balance was the tube instead of the tire. The wheel and tire is balanced with 4.5 ounces. I have no explanation for the large amount of weights.

The stick on weights are on the back side of the wheels, applied to the sloped portion of the wheel, not the flatter, external, drop center portion of the wheel. The weights are still on the two wheels after a few hundred miles. The heavy wheel has three layers of 1/4 ounce weights. I don't expect these to stay on too long. This was a learning process. I will have another look at the problem and may attempt to find a better tube.

The car drives smoothly, on good roads, the headlights are steady at speeds of 50+. We normally drive 45-48 on good two lane highways or uncontrolled 4 lane ones.

Last edited by Rob Doe; 04-16-2024 at 07:39 PM.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote