View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 10:31 AM   #58
Steve Schmauch

Default Re: Cluster bearing solution?

I would like to comment on Nakimar's thread, and the way Sammy Guthrie installs the cluster gear. I have assembled/disassembled many transmissions also. It is difficult to align the cluster gear while installing the cluster gear shaft. Sammy's way of vertical install helps with the alignment, which means the shaft does not bind on the end(s) of the bearings. If you find that you must use a small hammer to "tap" the shaft through, then it is likely that you have distorted the cage end of a bearing, leading to early failure.

I use two cluster shafts; insert one from each end a few inches to hold the cluster in perfect alignment. Insert (by hand) the shaft being used, from the front of the transmission, not the rear. The shaft should fit tight with a slip-fit resistance. If you feel any resistance, then you are bumping up against a bearing end.

With the scarcity of good quality bearings, it is worthwhile to take this precaution to install the cluster shaft properly so the bearings are not damaged.
Steve Schmauch is offline   Reply With Quote