View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 04:19 PM   #7
Rob Doe

Default Re: V8 Clutch in Model A: Something is not right

lyle,

I just installed a new Bratton's clutch disc in our coupe. The coupe has a modified flywheel and a v8 pressure plate. I initially had the precise experience that you describe.

I had initially adjusted the clutch free play of the pedal to 3/4". What I did to correct the issue was to double the free play to more like 1-1/2" or possibly a bit more. The coupe had a good bit of free play before putting in the new clutch which was also more than a stock Model A clutch.

Apparently, the V8 pressure plate has a different length of operational range of the fingers. The range seems to be shorter forward travel of the fingers to fully release the clutch disc. By increasing the pedal free play to a larger amount, a good portion of this excess range of the pedal will be consumed before the throw out bearing contacts the fingers, and the full travel will wind up withing the maximum travel of the V8 fingers and more than enough to release the clutch disc. (before the fingers move forward enough to contact the clutch disk and force it into the flywheel.)

With the viewing window open, you can watch the clutch disc springs spin with the flywheel. When you depress the clutch a small amount, they slow to a stop, but if you continue to fully depress the pedal, you can see them begin to spin again and make noise.

Increase the pedal free play to transition the max forward position of the throw out bearing toward the rear of the car. If I remember correctly, turn the fork lefty loosey, counter clockwise a few turns and retest while watching the clutch disc springs through the view window.

It was my first clutch install and this took me an full day to gather experience. Worn to a frazzle, I went home and slept on it. When I woke up I had the answer. We now have ~ 3000 miles on the clutch, and it's working nicely. It grabs near the top, no chatter etc.

Last edited by Rob Doe; 03-31-2024 at 04:25 AM.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote