View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 04:31 PM   #7
Gene F

Default Re: 7 tooth retainer clip

If you replace your worm gear, the rule of thumb is that you replace your sector (gear) too. Although lately I have been hearing stories that even though you order from the same vendor they may not be the same MFG. That gear can be a challenge to get off that shaft without damaging the shaft. A good helper can be a real plus.

I will add this. 7-tooth (I have one in my 28) always upgrade to that little anti-leak tube. For the few dollars they cost they are worth it.

The sector bushings are special bushings with oil groves out only 1 side. Don't use water pump bushings, even if your supplier sends them to you as sector bushings. Check, send them back. The blind side of the bushing goes outboard. When you put your box back together you use about 1/4 to 1/2 of a shot of grease on that shaft, and that's it. The rest of the box gets the 600W lube.

Make sure your horn tube goes back in, before your steering column gets fastened up to the mounting. Failure to do it this way kinks the horn tube, and when you turn the wheel your headlights will go on, or off.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote