View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 11:25 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Front fender cracking out

Quote:
Originally Posted by langus480 View Post
All,

After posting the question and searching for an entirely different subject (searched for date stamp production day) I stumbled across this information regarding patching and strengthening the fenders.

http://modelahouse.com/tech/fender/index.html

Seems like a chronic problem

Well I guess since you posted those links, I will also tell you that what Bill said above about the fender being in tension is correct. Correct that problem first.

FWIW, the key 'takeaway' to making this repair last is that you must have the reinforcing wire be welded in a different location than where the repair panel is joined to the fender metal. Otherwise the stress riser will cause it to crack where it was fused together.

On a side note, I wish I could remember when that tutorial was first written but I feel certain I originally posted this here at least 15 years ago, ...and maybe as long as 20 years ago. As I recall, these tutorials and those by a few others was the catalyst that caused us to have the Fordbarn Workshops. I can't remember if we had the first one of those in 2006 or '07. Bob definitely had the proper forethought to post it on his website for it to be preserved.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote