View Single Post
Old 03-14-2024, 01:49 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Why is there a need for an Adjustable Drag Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I think that is the most common reason. I remember someone selling an adjustable drag link years ago on Ford Barn.
Yeah, maybe. I personally think the most common reason for steering wheels to be skewed is the Spindle Steering Arm is bent. I have seen plenty of cars with stock Steering Gear (a/k/a Pitman) Arm and the Steering Wheels were off, so is the shortened arm that is truly causing it?

Also, when you look at factory pictures, the Drag Link is almost horizontal. Because of the length when I tried to calculate it, I found by raising the end by 1½" is only moving the one end of the 22" long Drag Link came out to about 3.75° of Sector rotation. Thinking out loud, where this would likely be exacerbated is when the front springs have lost their arch causing the the Drag Link to have a much more severe angle.

On a side note, the stock 7-tooth gearbox has about a 11:1 gear ratio. Sure would be cool to machine a smaller diameter worm gear and then a larger gear on the sector to gain a higher ratio yet would still be hidden within the steering gearbox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg assembly3.jpg (78.5 KB, 54 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote