View Single Post
Old 09-06-2023, 06:52 AM   #1
philcobill

Default Leg Clearance Issue

I am not sure this question can be answered, but I have to ask anyway.

Let me set the stage. I am 6 feet tall. Despite being overweight, it does not interfere with my turning the steering wheel. There is about 19-inch clearance between the tab on the right hand side of the brake pedal to the gear shift knob when the transmission is in reverse and in low gear in our 1929 special . There is a bit more in high gear and even more in second.

The problem is that I have a hard time moving my leg around from the foot accelerator because the distance between the bottom of my right foot to the gear shift knob is about 23 inches. I have to lift my foot up high and around the gear shift knob when I brake. Obviously it is the worst in reverse and low gear.

My question is, are there any adjustments I can make either in the brake pedal or the gear shift (tower?) to give me more clearance? I understand about moving the seat back with major surgery to the car. We may do this at some point, but for now we are looking for a simpler solution.

The funny thing is that I have driven this car thousands of miles and I don't remember having this problem before. I recently had the Burtz engine installed and I have to wonder if something needs re-adjusting.... I would hate to give up Model A driving just because of this.

Last edited by philcobill; 09-06-2023 at 08:46 AM.
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote