View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #1286
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It’s called the Race that stops the Nation.

The harbour bridge and opera house are well known icons in Sydney. Folks from Sydney are known to brag about them especially to Melbourne folk. This gets up Melbournian’s noses. Melbourne figured they too should have an icon bridge but it fell into the water during construction. Had it not been for a loss of lives Sydney would have sniggered.

Melbourne too wanted to be on the map and has done so with a horse race that attracts the attention of almost every Australian. Yes, even Sydney siders stop to watch. It's a social occasion and Victoria takes a state holiday. People get dressed up, some smartly and some in hideous and even poor taste attire. Some wear hats and some women wear fascinators. All to attract attention. It’s quite an event. Held today, the first Tuesday in November.

This horse race attracts world-wide attention. It is one way Melbourne thumbs its nose at Sydney siders. Today’s winner was a French horse but owned here in Australia. In all some 9 horses were flown in to compete. Several from Ireland, and England and New Zealand and one from America. Like todays winner some local horses were bred off shore and some local horses owned by off-shore people, usually middle eastern.
I didn’t have a bet because neither horses nor gambling interest me. My wife Patsy did and lost $20 and she’s pissed off because she is such a tight ass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 19.53.08.jpg (13.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 04.39.41.jpg (20.5 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-01-2022 at 04:44 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote