View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 06:49 PM   #19
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Color Sanding, 31 Cabriolet Just Painted

Thank you all for your comments. Over the years I have used enamel, lacquer, acrylic enamel and finally acrylic urethane (from TCP). This paint is expensive but the end product is wonderful. It seems sticky such that with care it doesn't run easily. This past time after not painting for a year, I lost my head and had a run right out of the gate and in full view too, right behind the door jam in the quarter panel. Oh well, I recovered and the end product was pretty good. What is amazing to me is that overnight this paint becomes shiny and hard just like glass. The car becomes encased in this paint! My colors were the Ford greens, Kewanee and Elkpointe. The paint sequence was epoxy primer, high build epoxy primer, epoxy sealer coat and finally 3-4 coats of urethane top coat. For the Cabriolet it took less than 2 quarts for each color. I have decided not to go back and total up the receipts!
I did have problems coming up with the tints I wanted. I used a computer based program on the internet that mixed colors by volume. Then with "nerves of steel" I purchased quarts of yellow, blue, white, green and black from TCP and mixed very small batches until I had a color mixture that was pleasing to me. After spending so much money, I wasn't sure I would end up with a color I liked. But as I added the last color component, the Kewanee color just jumped out at me just as the computer program predicted. When I had the lighter green color (Kewanee), I just started adding black until I had the accent color (Elkpointe). I ended up mixing 3 quarts of Kewanee and 2 quarts of Elkpointe. On the car, the colors are perfect to me. Thanks to so many of you during my research for this painting project. It is sad because I am at the end of my painting projects. I am too old to get into this again. When you finally get it right, its over. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote