View Single Post
Old 07-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #35
Lannis

Default Re: Pinto engine conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
When the US government mandated unleaded fuel back in the 70s it took a while for it to kick into high gear. Hardened valve seats had to make a come back for its use. My little Courier pickup wasn't made for unleaded fuel. They changed the size of the filler openings for unleaded so that the older leaded gas pumps wouldn't fit. All sorts of little stuff changed after that.
I remember all the things that had to change, like filler opening sizes, when leaded fuel was banned.

I know that we in the Olde Bike Hobby wondered for years if we needed to replace the valve seats in our bikes due to the lack of the lubricating properties of tetraethyl lead. But it never really seemed to be an issue. I have old bikes that have been running on unleaded for many years on their original valve seats.

I don't think anything has been added to the fuel these days to "lubricate" anything in the top end of the engine. I don't say that I use any Marvel Mystery Oil, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from using it for those purposes!

Lannis
Lannis is offline   Reply With Quote