Thread: No Air Cleaner?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
Synchro909

Default Re: No Air Cleaner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Catman, Here is he deal. The stock Model A carburetors were designed to run without an air filter. The float chamber is vented to the outside. When an air filter is put on the this kind of carburetor it acts like a choke and the carburetor will run rich, especially at higher RPM. Modern carburetors are vented to inside the carburetor so they compensate for any restriction caused by an air filter. You can buy a Model A carburetor that has been changed or built like a modern carburetor and can be run with an air cleaner.

As others have stated, the usual "filter" that is put on a stock Model A carburetor is not really a filter in the normal sense. It just keeps out rocks.
An air cleaner will not make the carburettor run rich if it is pressure balanced as you describe and attribute to modern carburettors. By "modern", it is worth remembering carburettors haven't been used on new cars for decades. I believe Henry didn't fit one because they cost money and by the time the damage done by dust and crud going through the motor was detected, Ford had their money. I have and will never run a Model A (or any other motor) without an air filter.
BTW, we can't use hose bug screens you guys hang on the carb intake.